Have You Heard of CARES?
(Civic and Religious Emergency Services)
Located in and serving members of our community, CARES is a combination Food Pantry and Emergency Financial Assistance center. It achieves its objectives by pooling the food and financial resources donated by 47 GEDCO (Govans Ecumenical Development Corporation) member organizations. Numerous individuals, schools, corporations, government agencies, and community groups assist in this effort. This approach allows CARES to respond in a timely and coordinated fashion to people in need of immediate assistance.
- Who: Individuals and families living in zip codes 21210, 21212, 21239, and 21218 (33rd St. and north)
- What: Emergency food packages and emergency financial assistance (for utility cut-offs, eviction prevention, and pharmacy assistance).
- Where: At St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church, 5502 York Rd., in the rear of its rectory building. Call 410-532-2273 during service hours.
- When: Food Assistance-Mondays & Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.; Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 12 noon. Financial Assistance-Mondays & Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- How: Food assistance applicants must provide a photo ID, their Social Security card, and proof of their address (such as a recent bill mailed to the address). They must also present a Social Security card for each household member for whom help is sought, and proof of address for all those 18 years of age and older. Financial assistance applicants must also bring a utility cut-off notice and a completed Maryland Energy Assistance application; eviction notice from the court; or a prescription to be filled.
Learn more by visiting the GEDCO website and click on the “CARES” link.
Interested in helping? CARES is possible because of the 100+ volunteers who conduct food drives; donate food; store and bag food; screen and interview clients; raise money; and do whatever needs to be done.
- Join us! Call 410-433-2442, ext. 11, to discuss volunteer opportunities.
- Food donations may be dropped off at CARES during service hours or on Wednesday mornings between 10:00 AM and Noon.
- Financial contributions may be made by check payable to GEDCO with “CARES” written on the memo line and mailed to GEDCO at 5513 York Rd., Baltimore, MD, 21212.