Download a Lake Walker COP registration sheet here.
Lake Walker and Evesham Park residents joined together, with support from the Northern District of the Baltimore Police force, to create a Citizens on Patrol program. Participants wear orange vests (patrolling pooches wear orange bandanas). We hold quarterly walk events.
On a day-to-day basis, residents are encouraged to keep eyes and ears open when walking through the neighborhood in order to report any suspicious behavior. Here are some guidelines:
- Encourage neighbors to remove valuables from inside of their cars.
- Be smart about reporting activity: discreetly take notes (written, mental) of what you saw and where, then wait until you are at a safe distance to report it.
- Document the time and details of your call.
Safety tips from our Community Relations Officers:
- If you observe suspicious activity, call 911, not 311. If the matter requires immediate action by police, use 911. 311 should be used only for non-urgent issues (trash, sewage, etc.)
- If you open windows in your home, make sure they are closed and locked before you leave the house.
- If you have a garage or a shed, make sure that it is locked securely.
- If you have an alarm system-use it! Make sure that you do not leave ANYTHING of value in your car (electronics, CDs, etc.).
- Let a neighbor know when you are going on vacation so that they can keep an eye out for anything suspicious.
Crime Watch number
A Crime Watch number, also known as a “Block Watch” number, is a unique, seven-digit number issued to you by the Baltimore Police Department. It allows you to anonymous report suspicious activity. If you use the number when you call 911, the operator will not ask for your name, address, etc. and the responding officers will not contact you to follow-up.
A Crime Watch number can also be used when reporting non-criminal, non-urgent issues to 311.
You can obtain a Crimewatch number, and more information about the program, on this website: http://www.baltimorecity.gov/Residents/HealthSafety/4StepsToFightingCrime/ReportingCrime/CrimeWatchNumberApplication.aspx